Physical therapy and rehabilitation procedures are applied in the following cases:
- Chronic pain conditions of the joints (sprain injuries of the joints and/or ligaments).
- Chronic pain conditions (hip and knee arthrosis) when the progression of the degenerative process needs to slow down.
- Before the scheduled surgery, whether it is a minimally invasive surgery (knee, shoulder, ankle arthroscopy or a procedure on the spine), or a classic orthopaedic surgery (e.g. joint replecement). By strengthening the target muscle group the overall physical condition of the patient is improved so that the postoperative rehabilitation would be quicker and more painless, and to ensure the organism recuperates faster. This is especially important for athletes, as they can greatly benefit from physical therapy that can bring them back to the sports field faster.
- Physical therapy and post-operative rehabilitation are main points that determine the course and speed of recovery. Daily physical therapy helps to reduce swelling, enhances the healing of the wounded tissue, and it also aids in the recovery of function, range of joint motion, muscular tension, and strength.
SPECIFIC REHABILITATION PROGRAMMES:
1. Preoperative rehabilitation
2. Postoperative rehabilitation
3. Posttraumatic rehabilitation
4. Sports rehabilitation
5. Degenerative programme
6. Prevention programme
7. „IT-syndrome“ programme
Specificity of work organization of the Department of physical therapy at the St.Catherine Specialty Hospital is featured by an integrated approach of a multidisciplinary team of experts (physician, orthopaedist/surgeon, physiotherapist), who are constantly involved in the entire process of rehabilitation. This ensures high-quality physical therapy with rehabilitation programmes tailored to individual needs:
- painful condition of the joints and spine due to inflammatory processes (arthritis) or degenerative diseases (arthtrosis)
- sports injuries and overuse syndromes in professional and amateur athletes
- pre and post operative rehabilitation after orthopaedic surgery on major joints (e.g. arthroscopic reconstruction of the tendons and ligaments, total or partial joint replacement)
- post operative rahabilitation after surgery on the spine
- posttraumatic conditions
In order to ensure fast recovery and return to everyday activities, the rehabilitation programme is adapted to the each patient individually, depending on the condition and damage, surgery performed and the personal needs of the patient.
IN ADDITION TO MEDICAL GYMNASTICS, THE FOLLOWING METHODS AND TECHNIQUES ARE USED IN PHYSICAL THERAPY:
-manual joints manipulation,
- thermotherapy (therapeutic ultrasound),
- laser therapy,
- shock wave therapy,
- cryotherapy and cryo-compression therapy,
- electrostimulation of muscles and nerves,
- functional electrostimulation,
- „Biofeedback“ training,
- continuous passive motion (CPM),
- Kinesio Taping, Functional Taping,
- PNF, MULLIGAN, BOBATH, CYRIAX, McKENZIE, DNS,
- manual massage
A team of experta awaits for you in a pleasant, modern setting:
Dr. Darija Granec, MD, specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation
Vesna Labar, Bacc.Physio., physiotherapist
Nino Čulina, Bacc.Physio., physiotherapist
Ozren Matišić, Bacc.Physio., physiotherapist
Jelana Kelemen, Bacc.Physio., physiotherapist
Marko Košćak, physiotherapist
Integrated approach by a multidisciplinary team of experts for each patient throughout the entire rehabilitation process.
Individualized programmes of physical therapy and rehabilitation tailored to suit the patient’s individual needs for a quick return to everyday activities.
Why physical therapy prior to the surgery?
To render the postoperative recovery as quick and painless as possible.
Physical therapy and rehabilitation after the surgery is an essential factor in the success of the surgery and determines the course and speed of recovery.